ASEEES Dissertation Research Grant Program
Thanks to the generosity of donors and members, the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies is offering research grants with a stipend of maximum $6,000, for the purposes of conducting doctoral dissertation research in Eastern Europe and Eurasia in any aspect of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian studies in any discipline. These awards may be held concurrently with other partial funding sources, but are intended to support students whose projects have not yet been fully supported. The grant recipient cannot concurrently hold the Cohen-Tucker Dissertation Research Fellowship, Fulbright-Hays DDRA, SSRC IDRF and other similarly fully-funded fellowships. The grant is for primary dissertation research. Students may only receive ONE Dissertation Research Grant over the course of their graduate studies.
- Applicant may be a graduate student of any nationality, in any discipline currently enrolled in a PhD program in the United States
- Applicant must have successfully achieved PhD candidacy (ABD status) by the start of the proposed research travel
- Applicant must have language proficiency to conduct the proposed research
- Applicant must be a student member of ASEEES at the time of application
- Applicant must plan to conduct research in one or more of countries within the region covered by ASEEES, including: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- Applicant must plan to start the research travel by no later than January 31 of the subsequent year (Ex: Upon notification of the fellowship in the summer of 2021, the grant recipient must start his/her research travel no later than January 31, 2022)
- Applicant may not be current or past recipient of the ASEEES Dissertation Summer Write-up Grant
- Applicant must not hold the Cohen-Tucker Dissertation Research Fellowship, Fulbright-Hays DDRA, SSRC IDRF and other similarly fully-funded fellowships for the same research project
New Grants as of 2019
Thanks to the generous gifts from ASEEES members and other donors to the Future of the Field campaign, we are able to offer:
Dissertation Research Grant in Women and Gender Studies - open to all disciplines and geographic foci in Eastern Europe and Eurasia (as described under Eligibility)
Dissertation Research Grant in LGBTQ Studies - open to all disciplines and geographic foci in Eastern Europe and Eurasia (as described under Eligibility)
Joseph Bradley and Christine Ruane Dissertation Research Grant in Russian Studies - open to all disciplines and any aspect of Russian studies broadly defined
The grant amount is maximum $6,000, which must be spent on expenses outside the US conducting research in the eligible country or countries, listed above. NOTE: The fellowship does not support tuition and fee payments to the applicant’s US home institution.
Applications must be submitted by April 1 (Notifications will be made by May 1)
Complete the online application, which includes:
- a two-page, single-spaced, 1000-word (excl footnotes, bibliography) description of the research scope, analytical framework, methodology, budget, and timeline;
- a CV no longer than two pages;
- Graduate transcript(s) (unofficial copy allowed);
- two letters of professional reference due April 7 (one must be from the main dissertation/thesis adviser);
- a section on the status of all grants to which one has applied for the research period and/or a statement of ineligibility for key funding opportunities. (Prior to disbursement of funds, ASEEES will contact the home department to verify candidate’s standing and funding levels.)
All files are reviewed by an interdisciplinary panel that values clarity of argument to both specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Please contact email@example.com with any further questions.
This grant program is made possible by generous contributions from members and other donors. Please consider investing in the Future of the Field and donate to the ASEEES Research Grant Fund. Donate HERE.