Wayne S. Vucinich Book Prize
Established in 1983, the Wayne S. Vucinich Book Prize, sponsored by the Association for Slavic Studies, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES) and the Stanford University Center for Russian and East European Studies, is awarded annually for the most important contribution to Russian, Eurasian, and East European studies in any discipline of the humanities or social sciences published in English in the United States in the previous calendar year. The Vucinich Book Prize carries a cash award and is presented at the Annual Convention.
Rules of eligibility
Rules of eligibility for the Vucinich book prize competition are as follows:
- The copyright date inside the book must list the previous calendar year as the date of publication (for example, the book must have been published in 2019 to be eligible for the 2020 competition).
- The book must be a monograph, preferably by a single author, or by no more than two authors.
- Works may deal with any area of Eastern Europe, Russia, or Eurasia.
- The competition is open to works of scholarship in any discipline of the social sciences or humanities (including literature, the arts, film, etc.). Policy analyses, however scholarly, cannot be considered.
- Authors may be of any nationality as long as the work is published in the United States and originally published in English.
- Textbooks, collections, translations, bibliographies, and reference works are ineligible.
- Self-published works are also ineligible.
Fill out and submit this form to notify the Association of your intent to nominate a publication for ASEEES prizes. New for 2020: books may only be nominated for two prizes (eg this prize and one other.)
Send one copy of eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses below). The nomination form must be submitted by no later than April 15. And books must be received by the prize committee members by May 15. (Books received after the deadline may not be considered.) Submissions should be clearly marked "Wayne S. Vucinich Book Prize Nomination."
Questions should be directed to Mary Arnstein (ASEEES Communications Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Wayne S. Vucinich Book Prize Committee
The winner of the Wayne S. Vucinich Book Prize will be chosen by the following scholars:
Ted Weeks, Chair, Southern Illinois U, 2019-2020
Department of History
Faner Hall 3374, Mail Code 4519
Carbondale, IL 62901
email@example.com for submission of ebooks
Yoshiko Herrera, U of Wisconsin-Madison, 2019-2020
Department of Political Science
University of Wisconsin-Madison
North Hall, Room 110
1050 Bascom Mall
Madison, WI 53706
Neringa Klumbyte, Miami U, 2020-2021
1210 Forest Ct.
Cincinnati, OH 45215 or firstname.lastname@example.org for submission of ebooks
Thomas Seifrid, U of Southern California, 2020-2021
Prof. Thomas Seifrid
19413 Christina Ct.
Cerritos, CA 90703-7110