W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize
The W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize, sponsored by Mary Lincoln, is awarded biennially (in even numbered years) for an author's first published monograph or scholarly synthesis that is of exceptional merit and lasting significance for the understanding of Russia's past, published in the previous two years. The Lincoln Book Prize carries a cash award and is presented at the Annual Convention. The prize was established in 2004 in memory of W. Bruce Lincoln, a Russian historian and a widely-read author.
We are delighted to announce that, due to the generous gift by Mary Lincoln to endow the prize, the W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize will be awarded annually starting in 2019.
Rules of eligibility
Please note: The Lincoln Book Prize is awarded biennially on even-numbered years (eg. 2016, 2018). We will accept submissions beginning in January for that year's competition.
Rules of eligibility for the ASEEES W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize competition are as follows:
- The book must be an author's first published monograph or work of synthesis.
- It must bear a copyright date of either one or two years preceding the award year.
- It must be published in English and in North America.
- The geographic area of study is broadly defined as the territories of the former imperial Russian state and the Soviet Union. The book may deal with any period of history.
- Textbooks, translations, reference works, or edited collections of essays are not eligible.
- Books that have received other prizes are eligible.
- Scholarly merit, originality, and felicity of style will be the main criteria for selection.
Participants are asked to fill out and submit this form to notify the Association of your intent to nominate a publication for ASEEES prizes.
Send one copy of eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses below) AND to the ASEEES main office (address in the footnote). Nominations must be received no later than April 15 of a prize year.
Submissions should be clearly marked “Lincoln Book Prize Nomination.” If you would like to receive an acknowledgment that your nomination was received please enclose with the copy mailed to the ASEEES main office a note with your e-mail address or a self-addressed stamped envelope or a postcard.
2018 W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize Committee
The winner of the 2018 Lincoln Book prize will be chosen by the following scholars:
Rebecca Mitchell, Middlebury College; Committee Chair
Rebecca Mitchell, Assistant Professor
Department of History
Axinn Center at Starr Library 239
Middlebury, VT 05753
Edith Clowes, U of Virginia
Edith W. Clowes, Brown-Forman Professor
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
269 New Cabell Hall
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904
Sergei Zhuk, Ball State University
Dr. Sergei Zhuk, Professor of History
Department of History
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306