W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize
The W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize, sponsored by Mary Lincoln, is awarded annually for an author's first published monograph or scholarly synthesis that is of exceptional merit and lasting significance for the understanding of Russia's past. The Lincoln Book Prize carries a cash award and is presented at the Annual Convention. The prize was established in 2004 in memory of W. Bruce Lincoln, a Russian historian and a widely-read author.
We are delighted to announce that, with the generous gift from Mary Lincoln to endow the prize, the W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize will be awarded annually starting in 2019.
2020 Lincoln Book Prize Winner
Rules of eligibility
Rules of eligibility for the ASEEES W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize competition are as follows:
- The book must be an author's first published monograph or work of synthesis.
- The copyright date inside the book must list the previous year as the date of publication (for example, the book must have been published in 2020 to be eligible for the 2021 competition)
- It must be published in English and in North America.
- The geographic area of study is broadly defined as the territories of the former imperial Russian state and the Soviet Union. The book may deal with any period of history.
- Textbooks, translations (including self-translations), reference works, or edited collections of essays are not eligible. Self-published works are also ineligible.
- Books that have received other prizes are eligible.
- Scholarly merit, originality, and felicity of style will be the main criteria for selection.
Fill out and submit this form to notify the Association of your intent to nominate a publication for the Lincoln Book Prize. As of 2020: books may only be nominated for two prizes (eg this prize and one other.)
Send one copy of eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses below). The nomination form must be submitted by no later than April 15. And books must be received by no later than May 15. (Books not received by the deadline may not be considered.)
Submissions should be clearly marked “Lincoln Book Prize Nomination.”
2021 W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize Committee
The winner of the 2021 Lincoln Book prize will be chosen by the following scholars:
Erika Monahan, University of New Mexico/Dartmouth College, 2019-2021, Chair
Dr. Erika Monahan
Dept of History HB 6107
301 Carson Hall
28 North Main St.
Hanover, NH 03755
Christine Evans, U Wisconsin at Milwaukee, 2020-2022
Dr. Christine Evans
3454 N. Murray Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53211
David Brandenberger, U of Richmond, 2021-2023
(mailing address): TBA