Marshall D. Shulman Book Prize
The Marshall D. Shulman Book Prize, established in 1987 and sponsored by the Harriman Institute of Columbia University, is awarded annually for an outstanding monograph dealing with the international relations, foreign policy, or foreign-policy decision-making of any of the states of the former Soviet Union or Eastern Europe published the previous year. The prize is dedicated to the encouragement of high quality studies of the international behavior of the countries of the former Communist Bloc. The Shulman Book Prize carries a cash award. The award is presented at the ASEEES Annual Convention.
Rules of eligibility
Rules of eligibility for the Shulman book prize competition are as follows:
- The copyright date inside the book must list previous calendar year as the date of publication (for example the book must have been published in 2019 to be eligible for the 2020 competition).
- The book must be a monograph, preferably by a single author, or by no more than two authors.
- Authors may be of any nationality as long as the work is originally published in English.
- Works must be about international behavior of the countries of the former Communist Bloc.
- Textbooks, collections, translations, bibliographies, and reference works are ineligible. Self-published works are also ineligible.
Fill out and submit this form to notify the Association of your intent to nominate a publication for ASEEES prizes. New for 2020: books may only be nominated for two prizes (eg this prize and one other.)
Send one copy of eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses below). The nomination form must be submitted by no later than April 15. And books must be received by no later than May 15. (Books not received by the deadline may not be considered.)
Submissions should be clearly marked “Marshall Shulman Book Prize Nomination.”
Please direct questions to Mary Arnstein (ASEEES Communications Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Marshall D. Shulman Book Prize Committee
The winner of the Shulman Book Prize will be chosen by the following scholars:
Rinna Kullaa, U of Tampere (Finland), 2018-2020, Chair
Prof. Dr. Rinna Kullaa
Institute for East European History
University of Vienna
Spitalgasse 2, Hof 3
Jeff Hass, U of Richmond, 2018-2020
Ebooks preferred. Please email submissions to: email@example.com
532 N Pinetta Dr
North Chesterfield, VA 23235
Michael Kennedy, Brown U, 2020-2022
Michael D. Kennedy
Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs
111 Thayer Street,
Brown University, Box 1970
Providence, RI USA 02912-1970
(for customs use): Please mark the nominated books as "gift" to alert Customs that this is not a commercial shipment/to insure the recipient does not have to pay for the items.
412 648 9809