Kulczycki Book Prize in Polish Studies
The Kulczycki Book Prize in Polish Studies (formerly the ASEEES Orbis Book Prize), established in 1996 and sponsored by the Kulczycki family, former owners of the Orbis Books Ltd. of London, England, is awarded annually for the best book in any discipline, on any aspect of Polish affairs, published in the previous calendar year. The Kulczycki Book Prize carries a cash award. The award is presented at the ASEEES Annual Convention.
Rules of eligibility
Rules of eligibility for the Kulczycki Book Prize in Polish Studies competition are as follows:
- The copyright date inside the book must list the previous calendar year as the date of publication (for example, the book must have been published in 2019 to be eligible for the 2020 competition).
- Only works originally published in English, outside of Poland, are eligible
- The book must be a monograph predominantly on Polish studies, preferably by a single author, or by no more than two authors.
- Strong preference will be given to works by first-time authors.
- The competition is open to works in any discipline, dealing with any aspect of Polish affairs.
- Textbooks, translations, bibliographies, and reference works are ineligible. Self-published works are also ineligible.
- Previous winners of the Kulczycki/Orbis Prize are ineligible.
Fill out and submit this form to notify the Association of your intent to nominate a publication for ASEEES prizes. New for 2020: books may only be nominated for two prizes (eg this prize and one other.)
Send one copy of eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses below). The nomination form must be submitted by no later than April 15. And books must be received by no later than May 15. (Books not received by the deadline may not be considered.)
Submissions should be clearly marked “ASEEES Kulczycki Book Prize Nomination.”
Please direct questions to Mary Arnstein (ASEEES Communications Coordinator) at email@example.com
2019 Kulczycki Book Prize in Polish Studies Committee
The winner of the Kulczycki Books Prize in Polish Studies will be chosen by the following scholars:
Bozena Karwowska, U of British Columbia (Canada), 2018-2020, Chair
917 - 1873 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
If possible, electronic submissions would be preferred. Please send a PDF of the submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Malgorzata Mazurek, Columbia U, 2020-2022
25 Claremont Avenue, Apt. 6C
New York, NY 10027
Piotr Kosicki, U of Maryland, 2020-2021
Email submissions are preferred. Please send a PDF of the submission to: email@example.com
6716 chemin Béland
Côte Saint-Luc, QC H4V 1E7
(for customs use): Please mark the nominated books as "gift" to alert Customs that this is not a commercial shipment/to insure the recipient does not have to pay for the items.
412 648 9809
*The committee members are selected in consultation with the Polish Studies Association.