Davis Center Book Prize in Political and Social Studies
The Davis Center Book Prize in Political and Social Studies, established in 2008 and sponsored by the Kathryn W. and Shelby Cullom Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies at Harvard University, is awarded annually for an outstanding monograph published on Russia, Eurasia, or Eastern Europe in anthropology, political science, sociology, or geography in the previous calendar year. The Davis Center Book Prize carries a cash award. The award is presented at the ASEEES National Convention.
Rules of eligibility
Rules of eligibility for the Davis Center book prize competition are as follows:
- The copyright date inside the book must list the previous year as the date of publication (for example, the book must have been published in 2015 to be eligible for the 2016 competition)
- The book must be originally in the form of a monograph, preferably by a single author, or by no more than two authors
- Authors may be of any nationality as long as the work is originally published in English
- Works may deal with any area of Russia, Eurasia, or Eastern Europe
- The competition is open to works of scholarship in anthropology, political science, sociology, or geography, and also to social science works that cross strict disciplinary boundaries
- Textbooks, collections, translations, bibliographies, and reference works are ineligible
Fill out and submit this form to notify the Association of your intent to nominate a publication for ASEEES prizes.
Send one copy of eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses below) AND to the ASEEES main office (address in the footnote). Nominations must be received no later than April 15.
Submissions should be clearly marked “Davis Center Book Prize Nomination.” If you would like to receive an acknowledgment that your nomination was received please enclose with the copy mailed to the ASEEES main office a note with your e-mail address or a self-addressed stamped envelope or a postcard.
Please direct questions to Mary Arnstein (ASEEES Communications Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Davis Center Book Prize in Political and Social Studies Committee
The winner of the Davis Center Book Prize will be chosen by the following scholars:
Morgan Liu, Ohio State U, 2017-2019, Chair
Morgan Liu, Interim Chair & Associate Professor
Department of Near Eastern Languages & Cultures
The Ohio State University
1775 College Road, 300 Haggerty Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340
Jelena Subotic, Georgia State U, 2017-2019
Prof. Jelena Subotic
Georgia State University
Department of Political Science
PO Box 4069
Atlanta, GA 30302-4069
Lucan Way, U of Toronto (Canada), 2018-2020
2 Dingwall Ave
Toronto, ON M4K 1H1
(for customs use):
412 648 9809