International Traveler Advisory

Requesting a Letter of Invitation for Visa Applications

If you are needing an official letter from ASEEES, please complete this form.

Visa Waiver Program Changes

For those who normally travel to the U.S. on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP),the U.S. government has recently instituted changes including new passport requirements (e-passports now required), and restrictions for those who have traveled to one of these countries since March 1, 2011:

  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Sudan
  • Syria

If you have traveled to one of the above countries since March 1, 2011, you cannot travel to the U.S. under the VWP.. You will need a visa.

Also if you are a nationals of a VWP country and is also national of Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria, you are also not eligible for the VWP program.


As of April 1, 2016, e-passports are required for those traveling under the VWP. These passports have a machine-readable zone on the biographic page, and a digital chip containing biometric information about the passport owner. For more information click here

Electronic System for Travel Authorization

The Department of Homeland Security has established the “Electronic System for Travel Authorization,” an automated system to determine eligibility to travel under the VWP. All persons traveling under the VWP must apply for an ESTA. Approved ESTA applications are good for a period of two years. Further information is available here

We suggest getting everything in order for travel to the U.S. well in advance of your travel. For more informaiton see: