Archival Advocacy Documents from 1991 - 2015:
- Learned societies issues a joint statement of concern on Campu Carry law, November 30, 2015
- Action Alert to prevent deep cuts in Title VI and Fulbright-Hays programs, August 18, 2015
- ASEEES co-signs a statement by AHA defending tenure and academic freedom in Wisconsin, June 11, 2015
- Dan Davidson, President of the American Councils for International Education, testifies before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs, March 30, 2015
- ASEEES President Catriona Kelly expresses condolences for the catastrophic fire at INION, Moscow, February 3, 2015
- ASEEES Board expresses concern regarding the arrest of Alexander Sodiqov, a U of Toronto PhD student who was conducting research in Tajikistan, June 23, 2014
- ASEEES President Stephen Hanson, with Henry Hale, pens a letter to The New York Times regarding the need for regional experts, March 12, 2014
- ASEEES urges Sec. John Kerry to restore funding for the Title VIII program. See Title VIII Cut Alert page for more info.
- ASEEES co-sponsors a Policy Conference on "Internationalization of U.S. Education in the 21st Century: The Future of International and Foreign Language Studies," April 11-13, 2014, College of William and Mary
- ASEEES expresses concern regarding Russian prosecutors' actions requiring social research organizations that receive any international funding to register as "foreign agents", June 3, 2013
- ASEEES expresses concern regarding the Coburn Amendment to the Continuing Appropriations Act of 2013 that would severely limit National Science Foundation funding for political science, April 11, 2013
- Dan Davidson, President of the American Councils for Internationl Education, makes an oral statement before the US House of Representatives Committee on Appropriations, Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs, requesting continued funding for Title VIII and other programs related to our world region, March 14, 2013
- ASEEES expresses support for continued maintenance of the collections in our world areas, including preservation, cataloguing, and "discoverability," at the New York Public Library.
ASEEES letter to the President of NYPL, Anthony Marx, June 7, 2012 (PDF)
NYPL response from Ann D.Thornton, July 19, 2012 (PDF)
- ASEEES urges Congress to support FY 2013 funding for Title VI/Fulbright-Hays at the level of the President's budget request.
Coalition for International Education (CIE) letter to Members the House Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and Related Agencies Appropriations, May 14, 2012 (PDF). ASEEES is a member of CIE. We are a signatory on the letter. The same letter was sent to the Senate subcommittee.
- ASEEES expresses concern regarding the University of Bonn's proposal to close its Department of East European History.
ASEEES letter to the University of Bonn administration, Dec. 15, 2011 (PDF)
- ASEEES urges Secretary of Education Arne Duncan to support funding for the High Education Act: Title VI/Fulbright-Hay 120(b)(6) for FY 2011.
ASEEES letter to Secretary Duncan, April 19, 2011 (PDF)
You can take action through the National Humanities Alliance Action Alert.
- ASEEES urges the Hungarian government to preserve the documents in its Historical Archives of Hungarian State Security.
ASEEES letter to the the Hungarian Ambassador to the US, dated Feb. 23, 2011 (PDF)
You can find more information and sign a petition here.
- ASEEES expresses concern regarding University of Glasgow's proposal to close its foreign language programs, including Czech, Polish, and Russian.
ASEEES letter to the University administration, dated Feb. 16, 2011 (PDF)
You can keep up to date on the news on this Facebook page. You can sign a petition here.
- ASEEES urges US Congress to support funding for The High Education Act: Title VI/Fulbright-Hay 120(b)(6) for FY 2011 and 2012. We strongly believe that this program is vital to the US global competence.
ASEEES letter to the House Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Appropriations, dated Feb 15. 2011 (PDF)
- ASEEES expresses grave concern for SUNY Albany's decision to close its foreign language programs, including Russian.
ASEEES letter to the president of SUNY, Albany, dated Oct. 18, 2010 (PDF)
Read the Chronicle of High Ed article.
- ASEEES urged Florida State University not to eliminate its undergraduate program in Russian and MA program in Slavic. We were delighted that these programs were saved.
ASEEES letter to FSU in April 2009 (PDF)
- ASEEES President William Taubman sent in July 2009 a letter to Russian President Dmitrii Medvedev, expressing our association's support for the American Historical Association's statement of concern over the recent creation of a Commission to Counteract Attempts at Falsifying History to Damage the Interests of Russia. To date we have not received any response from the Russian President's office.
ASEEES letter to Dmitrii Medvedev, President of the Russian Federation (PDF)
American Historical Association's letter to Dmitrii Medvedev, President of the Russian Federation (PDF)
- ASEEES expressed concern regarding the closure of the New York Public Library's Slavic Reading Room
- Russian Visa Restrictions Hurt Scholarship
- "Prospects for Faculty in Area Studies: A Report from the National Council of Area Studies Associations," 1991