Archival Advocacy Documents from 1991 - 2012:
- ASEEES expresses support for continued maintenance of the collections in our world areas, including preservation, cataloguing, and "discoverability," at the New York Public Library.
ASEEES letter to the President of NYPL, Anthony Marx, June 7, 2012 (PDF)
NYPL response from Ann D.Thornton, July 19, 2012 (PDF)
- ASEEES urges Congress to support FY 2013 funding for Title VI/Fulbright-Hays at the level of the President's budget request.
Coalition for International Education (CIE) letter to Members the House Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and Related Agencies Appropriations, May 14, 2012 (PDF). ASEEES is a member of CIE. We are a signatory on the letter. The same letter was sent to the Senate subcommittee.
- ASEEES expresses concern regarding the University of Bonn's proposal to close its Department of East European History.
ASEEES letter to the University of Bonn administration, Dec. 15, 2011 (PDF)
- ASEEES urges Secretary of Education Arne Duncan to support funding for the High Education Act: Title VI/Fulbright-Hay 120(b)(6) for FY 2011.
ASEEES letter to Secretary Duncan, April 19, 2011 (PDF)
You can take action through the National Humanities Alliance Action Alert.
- ASEEES urges the Hungarian government to preserve the documents in its Historical Archives of Hungarian State Security.
ASEEES letter to the the Hungarian Ambassador to the US, dated Feb. 23, 2011 (PDF)
You can find more information and sign a petition here.
- ASEEES expresses concern regarding University of Glasgow's proposal to close its foreign language programs, including Czech, Polish, and Russian.
ASEEES letter to the University administration, dated Feb. 16, 2011 (PDF)
You can keep up to date on the news on this Facebook page. You can sign a petition here.
- ASEEES urges US Congress to support funding for The High Education Act: Title VI/Fulbright-Hay 120(b)(6) for FY 2011 and 2012. We strongly believe that this program is vital to the US global competence.
ASEEES letter to the House Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Appropriations, dated Feb 15. 2011 (PDF)
- ASEEES expresses grave concern for SUNY Albany's decision to close its foreign language programs, including Russian.
ASEEES letter to the president of SUNY, Albany, dated Oct. 18, 2010 (PDF)
Read the Chronicle of High Ed article.
- ASEEES urged Florida State University not to eliminate its undergraduate program in Russian and MA program in Slavic. We were delighted that these programs were saved.
ASEEES letter to FSU in April 2009 (PDF)
- ASEEES President William Taubman sent in July 2009 a letter to Russian President Dmitrii Medvedev, expressing our association's support for the American Historical Association's statement of concern over the recent creation of a Commission to Counteract Attempts at Falsifying History to Damage the Interests of Russia. To date we have not received any response from the Russian President's office.
ASEEES letter to Dmitrii Medvedev, President of the Russian Federation (PDF)
American Historical Association's letter to Dmitrii Medvedev, President of the Russian Federation (PDF)
- ASEEES expressed concern regarding the closure of the New York Public Library's Slavic Reading Room
- Russian Visa Restrictions Hurt Scholarship
- "Prospects for Faculty in Area Studies: A Report from the National Council of Area Studies Associations," 1991