Southern Conference on Slavic Studies
ASEEES's oldest and largest affiliate, SCSS's purpose is "to promote scholarship, education, and in all other ways to advance scholarly interest in Russian, Soviet, and East European studies in the Southern region of the United States."
Primary Contact: Sharon Kowalsky
- President: Sharon Kowalsky,Department of History, Texas A&M University-Commerce
- President-Elect: Elizabeth Skomp, Russian Language and Literature, University of the South
- Secretary-Treasurer: Harold Goldberg, Department of History, University of the South
- Past-President: Olavi Arens, Department of History, Armstrong State University
- Executive Council:
- Margaret Peacock, Department of History, University of Alabama
- Maria Ivanoa, Slavic Languages & Lit., University of Virginia
- Steve Barnes, Department of History, George Mason University
- Yvonne Howell, Slavic Languages & Lit., University of Richmond
- Kathleen Macfie, Slavic Languages & Lit., University of North Carolina-Greensboro
- Bob Bobroff, Department of History, Oglethorpe University
SCSS's 2019 annual conference will be held on March 14-17, 2019 at the Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa in Mobile, Alabama. Refer to the SCSS website for more information about the 2019 SCSS conference as well as information about past meetings.
The Deadline for Submission of Proposals for the 2019 Conference is January 15, 2019.
Dues for the Southern Conference on Slavic Studies for the calendar year (January-December) are:
- Life Membership: $ 250
- Annual Membership (income over $40,000): $ 30
- Annual Membership (income under $40,000): $ 20
- Student or Contingent Faculty Membership: $ 10
Please make your check payable to SCSS. Include regular mail, email, and phone contact information. Send to:Harold J. Goldberg
Department of History
735 University Ave.
University of the South
Sewanee, TN 37383