ASEEES Foto Klub
Foto Klub is an annual meeting of academics who study or are interested in developments in Russian, East European and Eurasian photography. Foto Klub is committed to providing a better understanding of the history of photography in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, and serves as a platform for academic discussions of visual culture, photography, photomontage and photographic media both historically and in the present day.
Foto Klub focuses on the following:
- Enabling collaboration between students, scholars, librarians and archivists interested in Slavic and East European photography in order to carry out projects and presentations (building bridges between universities, libraries and institutions where necessary);
- Collecting and curating photography exhibitions as well as presentations and exhibitions about the history of Slavic, East European and Eurasian photography;
- Mentoring and advising students/junior colleagues who have an interest in photography and the history of photography, sharing resources for research, and promoting student collaboration in ongoing projects;
- Raising the visibility of visual culture and photography in Slavic Studies and at ASEEES to encourage awareness and collaboration;
- Connecting scholars of visual culture and photography in North American Slavic Studies with relevant colleagues and projects around the world, especially with colleagues in Eastern Europe and Eurasia;
- Representing Slavic Studies in the larger field of studying photography and photographic history, raising awareness and visibility among non-Slavists about projects and resources in our field.
- President: Jessica Werneke, NRU Higher School of Economics (Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-President: Deirdre Ruscitti, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Secretary/Treasurer: Michael Loader, NRU Higher School of Economics (Russia)
- Regular Meetings: Foto Klub will hold its regular business meeting at the annual meeting of ASEEES members, coordinate and advertise sessions at this meeting, and reach out ASEEES members via the ASEEES Newsletter and other channels to share news about its activities and events.
- Current Membership: 32
- Membership Dues: none
- Contact: Jessica Werneke, President