W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize
The W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize, sponsored by Mary Lincoln, is awarded biennially (in even numbered years) for an author's first published monograph or scholarly synthesis that is of exceptional merit and lasting significance for the understanding of Russia's past, published in the previous two years. The Lincoln Book Prize carries a cash award, and the next prize will be presented at the Annual Convention in 2016. The prize was established in 2004 in memory of W. Bruce Lincoln, a Russian historian and a widely-read author.
Rules of eligibility
Please note: The Lincoln Book Prize will not be awareded in 2017. We will accept submissions, beginning January 2018, for that year's competition.
Rules of eligibility for the ASEEES W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize competition are as follows:
- The book must be an author's first published monograph or work of synthesis.
- It must bear a copyright date of either one or two years preceding the award year (for the 2016 competition the published copyright date should be 2014 or 2015).
- It must be published in English and in North America.
- The geographic area of study is broadly defined as the territories of the former imperial Russian state and the Soviet Union. The book may deal with any period of history.
- Textbooks, translations, reference works, or edited collections of essays are not eligible.
- Books that have received other prizes are eligible.
- Scholarly merit, originality, and felicity of style will be the main criteria for selection.
NEW FOR 2016: Fill out and submit this form to notify the Association of your intent to nominate a publication for ASEEES prizes.
Send one copy of eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses below) AND to the ASEEES main office (address in the footnote). Nominations must be received no later than April 15 of a prize year.
Submissions should be clearly marked “Lincoln Book Prize Nomination.” If you would like to receive an acknowledgment that your nomination was received please enclose with the copy mailed to the ASEEES main office a note with your e-mail address or a self-addressed stamped envelope or a postcard.
2018 W. Bruce Lincoln Book Prize Committee
The winner of the 2018 Lincoln Book prize will be chosen by the following scholars: