Marshall D. Shulman Book Prize
The Marshall D. Shulman Book Prize, established in 1987 and sponsored by the Harriman Institute of Columbia University, is awarded annually for an outstanding monograph dealing with the international relations, foreign policy, or foreign-policy decision-making of any of the states of the former Soviet Union or Eastern Europe published the previous year. The prize is dedicated to the encouragement of high quality studies of the international behavior of the countries of the former Communist Bloc. The Shulman Book Prize carries a cash award. The award is presented at the ASEEES Annual Convention.
Rules of eligibility
Rules of eligibility for the Shulman book prize competition are as follows:
- The copyright date inside the book must list previous calendar year as the date of publication (for example the book must have been published in 2015 to be eligible for the 2016 competition).
- The book must be a monograph, preferably by a single author, or by no more than two authors.
- Authors may be of any nationality as long as the work is originally published in English.
- Works must be about international behavior of the countries of the former Communist Bloc.
- Textbooks, collections, translations, bibliographies, and reference works are ineligible.
Fill out and submit this form to notify the Association of your intent to nominate a publication for ASEEES prizes.
Send one copy of eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses below) AND to the ASEEES main office (address in the footnote). Nominations must be received no later than April 15.
Submissions should be clearly marked “Marshall Shulman Book Prize Nomination.” If you would like to receive an acknowledgment that your nomination was received please enclose with the copy mailed to the ASEEES main office a note with your e-mail address or a self-addressed stamped envelope or a postcard.
Please direct questions to Mary Arnstein (ASEEES Communications Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 Marshall D. Shulman Book Prize Committee
The winner of the Shulman Book Prize will be chosen by the following scholars:
Rachel Epstein, U of Denver, 2017-2019, Committee Chair
Josef Korbel School of International Studies
University of Denver
2201 S. Gaylord Street
Denver, CO 80208
Jeff Hass, U of Richmond, 2018-2020
Department of Sociology & Anthropology
University of Richmond
28 Westhampton Way
Richmond, VA 23173
Rinna Kullaa, U of Tampere (Finland), 2018-2020
Prof. Dr. Rinna Kullaa
Institute for East European History
University of Vienna
Spitalgasse 2, Hof 3
(for customs use):
412 648 9809