Hotel & Travel
The 49th Annual ASEEES Convention will be held at the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile (540 North Michigan Ave. (driveway entrance on 541 N. Rush, St), Chicago, IL 60611) from Thursday, November 9, to Sunday, November 12, 2017.
The first sessions begin at 1pm on Thursday, November 9; the last sessions will end at 1:45pm on Sunday, November 12.
The Group Rate for ASEEES 2017 at the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile is $209 per night for single/double rooms plus taxes. The Group cut-off date is October 10, but we strongly urge you to make your reservation early as we will sell out. After that day, you can make reservations by calling 1-800-228-9290, and the hotel will offer the best rate available for the dates requested.
If you prefer to speak with a live operator please call 1-877-303-0104 and reference "Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasians Studies 2017".
Graduate Student Rooms:
We receive a very limited number of graduate student rooms available at a reduced rate each year.
These rooms have sold out for 2017.
Guestroom Internet Access:
The hotel offers complimentary internet access in the guest room for Marriott Rewards members. We are not promoting the Rewards program, but just letting you know of the option. Otherwise, the hotel will charge $14.95 per room per night for standard internet access.
The hotel provides free wifi in the lobby, and ASEEES will provide free wifi in the common areas and the exhibit hall during convention hours. There is no internet access in the meeting rooms.
Are you looking to share accommodations? Check out the Roomshare Locator. ASEEES cannot be held responsible for room share arrangements.
The Chicago area has two main airports:
- O'Hare International Airport (ORD), 17 miles northwest of the hotel, is at minimum a 25 minute drive away, but can be much longer at peak hours; cab fare is estimated at $45 each way, but varies with traffic. Public transportation is available via the Blue Line L, which runs direct from O'Hare to Downtown; including a free transfer to the Red Line in Downtown, a two-train L ride will take about 50-60 minutes and cost $5.
- Midway International Airport (MDW), about fifteen miles southwest of Downtown, is about a 30-minute drive; expect cab fare to approach $40 each way. The Orange Line L runs from Midway to Downtown; including a free transfer to the Red Line in Downtown, it takes about 30 minutes and costs $2.25 to get to the hotel.
Further afield, Milwaukee's General Mitchell International Airport (MKE) and South Bend's South Bend International Airport (SBN) are both about 90 minutes from the hotel, though both offer train service---depending on when you arrive it may be possible to take Amtrak's Hiawatha Line from Milwaukee or the South Shore Line from South Bend direct to Downtown Chicago for less than $30.
Train and Bus service:
The hotel is about 1.5 miles from Chicago's Union Station, Amtrak's hub for regional trains serving Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin; services across the Northeast, including the Lake Shore Limited to Cleveland, Buffalo, New York City, and Boston; Capitol Limited to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Washington; and the Cardinal to Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Washington, and New York; and many of the famous transcontinental lines including the City of New Orleans to Memphis and New Orleans; the Empire Builder to Seattle and Portland; the California Zephyr to Denver and San Francisco, and the Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle services to the Southwest.
In addition to CTA's 'L' service, numerous buses stop at or near the hotel. Local transit schedules and directions are available in Google Transit or directly from Chicago's Regional Transit Authority.
The hotel's main driveway is off North Rush Street, between East Grand Ave and East Ohio Street, about half a mile from the Ohio Street exit (Exit 50B) on I-90. Directions are provided by the hotel or available via Google Maps.
The Marriott provides parking with either valet parking ($61 daily) or off-site parking ($48 daily). Further information on parking is available from the hotel.
To Do, See and Eat in Chicago:
- The official Chicago Convention & Tourism Bureau has a full list of things to do and places to see and eat in Chicago, including information on the hotel's neighborhood, the Magnificent Mile; see also the Magnificent Mile Association for more on shopping, dining, and more nearby.
- Chicago's many museums spread in every direction from the hotel:
- The Museum of Contemporary Art and Driehaus Museum of late 19th and early 20th-century art and design are a short walk to the north; the Chicago History Museum, Lincoln Park Zoo, and more are a bit further north.
- Chicago's Children's Museum is on Navy Pier, a mile east of the hotel.
- The Art Institute of Chicago, one of the oldest and largest in the US and rated one of the best in the world, is a mile south of the hotel in the center of Downtown; Chicago's landmark Adler Planetarium, Field Museum, and Shedd Aquarium stand side by side on the Museum Campus, another mile south on the lakeshore.
- The DuSable Museum of African American History and Museum of Science and Industry flank the University of Chicago campus in Hyde Park, eight miles south of the hotel.
- Of special interest to Association members: (in order by distance from the Convention hotel)
- The Polish Museum of America, "one of the oldest and largest ethnic museums in the United States", is in the Polish Downtown, two miles northwest of the hotel
- The Ukrainian Institute of Modern Art and Ukrainian National Museum of Chicago are in the Ukrainian Village, three miles northwest of the hotel
- The Chicago Latvian Association Museum is in Irving Park, 8 miles northwest
- The Illinois Holocaust Museum is in Skokie, 13 miles north
- The Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture, "the largest repository of Lithuanian cultural artifacts outside of Lithuania", is about 13 miles southwest, near Midway Airport
- The Chicago Estonian House is in Riverwoods, about 30 miles northwest of the hotel