Shevchenko Scientific Society
The Shevchenko Scientific Society is an organization of learned men and women dedicated to scholarship. It is the oldest Ukrainian academy of arts and sciences whose activities have been the mainstay of Ukrainian cultural life for over a century. Founded in 1873 in the city of Lviv, Ukraine, the Society was liquidated by the Soviet regime in 1939; however, it was reestablished in 1947 in Western Europe and in the United States, and in 1989 in Ukraine.
The headquarters of the Society in the US is located in New York City; besides offices and lecture halls, it contains a specialized library, a depository of archives pertaining to Ukraine and the Ukrainian Diaspora, and an art collection. The Society has chapters in Washington, DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, and Boston. National Shevchenko Scientific Societies exist also in Australia, Canada, Poland, Slovakia, and one headquartered in Sarcelles, France, for members in Western Europe.
- President: George G. Grabowicz, 520 Randolph Ave, Milton, MA 02186, 617-696-9644, firstname.lastname@example.org
- First Vice-President: Halyna Hryn, 120 Belmont St., Watertown, MA 02472, 973-762-0211, email@example.com
- Vice-President & Learned Secretary: Vitaly Chernetsky
- Vice-President & CFO: Natalia Honcharenko
- Recording Secretary: Karina Tarnawsky
- Deputy Recording Secretary: Serhiy Panko
Publications: Bulletin (semi-annual); Papers of the Shevchenko Scientific Society in the U.S, new series; books
Current Membership: approximately 400
Membership Dues: $60/year
Web Site: http://www.shevchenko.org/
Contact: Shevchenko Scientific Society, 63 Fourth Avenue, New York, NY 10003-5200, 212-254-5130, firstname.lastname@example.org